Economy Committee - Private Papers as Evidence?

Hello

Has anyone come across this before ? Please can you advise.

Professor Mazzucato from University College London is giving evidence about the Scottish National Investment Bank based on a “private paper” . It is by video conference tomorrow.

ECONOMY, ENERGY AND FAIR WORK COMMITTEE
AGENDA
16th Meeting, 2019 (Session 5)
Tuesday 14 May 2019
The Committee will meet at 9.15 am in the Robert Burns Room (CR1).

1. Scottish National Investment Bank Bill: The Committee will take evidence on
    the Bill at Stage 1 from—
    Professor Mariana Mazzucato, Director of the UCL Institute for Innovation
    & Public Purpose (IIPP), University College London (by video conference)…

The papers for this meeting are as follows—
Agenda Item 1
PRIVATE PAPER EEFW/S5/19/16/1 §

Asking someone in SG who may know. Watch this space

Bruce

1 Like

Hi both
To offer some explanation, hope this helps clarify that this evidence will be being shared publicly. It will be a public session, with an official report prepared subsequently by the Parliament and published on the Committee’s webpages. The private paper referred to will be the briefing provided to Committee members by the clerks to the Committee, and is often part of a normal committee process. It’s a great opportunity to hear from Professor Mazzucato who has helped with a lot of the thinking on creating a publicly owned bank. He previously prepared the policy paper ‘A mission-oriented framework for the Scottish National Investment Bank’ which was made publically available and linked to on Scottish Gov webpages which you can read here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bartlett/public-purpose/publications/2019/mar/mission-oriented-framework-scottish-national-investment-bank and https://www.gov.scot/policies/economic-growth/scottish-national-investment-bank/.

Thanks Niamh!
Bruce

:sweat_smile: glad we cleared that up!
Just for reference - Prof Mariana Mazzucato is a ‘she’

Ah yes sorry I did know that, unfortunate typo! My apologies.

As Niamh says, this is likely the clerks being asked by the convenor to give private advice to the committee. However, as noted below, if it’s private then it will likely be procedural i.e. whether or not the committee can ask or pursue certain lines of inquiry within their competence. I’m guessing here. I strongly suggest the Scottish Parliament committee is asked to clarify what advice they are seeking.

1. The first source of advice on all matters of Committee procedures and practice is the clerks . Clerks serve all members and give impartial advice. However, inevitably, there will be a close working relationship between the convener and the clerk. In order to discuss draft agendas, papers, reports and the convener’s brief it is important for regular meetings to be scheduled between the committee convener and the clerk.

2. During committee meetings, clerks will advise on procedure, and if asked to do so will give advice “on the record”. However, a convener may still ask a clerk privately for advice on any point of concern. In meetings, a clerk may from time to time draw procedural matters to the convener’s attention, but it is for the convener to decide what action to take and whether to call the meeting to order. Clerks do not generally give advice on matters of policy (other than when advising the Procedures and Standards Committees in the discharge of their functions).

https://www.parliament.scot/parliamentarybusiness/30891.aspx

Thanks, that is really helpful clarification – it is of course for Parliament to answer on advice for the committees, but the SNIB
team were clear that the evidence they have is proactively published as Professor Mazzucato’s has been

Doreen Grove | Head of Open Government

Scottish Government | 3-F North Victoria Quay | EH6 6QQ

m> 07767343230 T|01312443276 e| doreen.grove@gov.scot