Lack of political engagement in OGP

Dear Open Government colleagues,

I hope you are well!

Over the last few months, a few of you, including with the UK OGN steering committee, have commented and raised concerns around the lack of political commitment commitment to open government (From the move to DCMS, constant ministerial changes, and the lack of political engagement in the action plan so far, to name but a few obstacles faced).

In July, the OGN Steering Committee wrote to the then Minister Matt Hancock outlining our concerns over the lack of ministerial engagement with the current open government action plan and the threat this poses in undermining the UK’s position as a global leader on open government:

Read the letter to Matt Hancock, here: https://www.opengovernment.org.uk/resource/ogn-letter-letter-to-matt-hancock-mp-about-ministerial-engagement-on-open-government/

Yesterday we received a response from Margot James MP, the minister responsible for open government here: https://www.opengovernment.org.uk/2018/08/15/margot-james-mp-responds-to-ogn-steering-group-letter-about-ministerial-engagement-on-open-government/

The UK OGN Steering Committee will be meeting Margot James MP on 11 September to discuss these issues and the current action plan (a draft is due to be open for public consultation before the end of this month).

Best

Andreas

1 Like

Hey Andreas,

Thanks for sharing this, and hope all is well with you. Let me know if there is anything OpenCorporates can do to support – happy to help!

All the best,

Mollie

1 Like

Ditto from 360Giving Andreas - let’s see where the discussions get to with Margot James and what traction you get around the new NAP.

Rachel

1 Like

Deleted, will be re-sent

andreaspavlou OGN Steering Group member

Andreas,

Please tell us the e-mail address which should be used to post a new
topic to the forum.

We – as INIREF – are subscribed to:
UK Open Government Network
OpenGovUK

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Dr. Michael Macpherson
Psycho-Social and Medical Research PSAMRA ~ Integral Studies
Guildford and Berlin

Founder
Campaign for direct democracy in Britain
Citizens’ Initiative and Referendum I&R ~ GB
http://www.iniref.org/ Link to site index

Iniref: if you are going to post here, could you do it in plain text please? The html [?] coding in your previous posting didn’t seem to work and made the text hard to follow!

Thanks

Maurice

Maurice Frankel

Campaign for Freedom of Information

Free Word Centre, 60 Farringdon Road, London, EC1R 3GA, UK

Tel: 020 7324 2519 | www.cfoi.org.uk | http://twitter.com/CampaignFOI

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your email. It is still a bit confusing how the forum works and I am glad you ask as I can look at making sure it is clear to others too about how to use the forum. Am happy to explain further if this is not clear as the forum is still quite new to me as well.

There are two ways to start a new message.

1. To send a new message to the UK Open Government Network (OpenGovUK) forum, you can send an email to this email address: opengovuk@discuss.opengovernment.org.uk (save this in your contacts database)

2. To send a new message, you can go to the website, and click on the ‘new topic’ button, and select the category you wish to send it to.

If you want to reply to a message :

1. You can reply using your email by simply clicking on ‘reply/reply all’ and you will see a long algorythmic email address it sends to.

2. If you are replying from the website, you can reply to an individual using the ‘white reply button’, or to respond to the whole thread/reply all you use the ‘blue reply button’.

At the moment, I always recommend sending new messages via the website (its in a pop-up) so you see what the formatting looks like before it is sent.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Thanks

Andreas

Good day, We were advised to post via the web site but the system said that we are not allowed to post there. We tried both Open Government Pioneers Project and UK open government network. Andreas also wrote that we can post to a forum via e-mail but the message bounced with the following reply: