Question regarding grassroots and working class participation in policy making

Hi, I am the Director of a working class led feminist campaign group, and I joined this network predominantly because we believe there is a great deal of policy capture at the moment in terms of how the Scottish Government is approaching policy making, and also working class people are entirely missing from the policy making process and we believe this is having a hugely detrimental impact, particularly on working class women. We want to work to change this, and very much support the principles of Open Government, and at this point I am wondering if anyone can share any kind of progress in regard to agreement with the Scottish Government on ensuring it adequately engages beyond government funded organisations and with ordinary people and indeed all groups of stakeholders in its policy making?

We are looking for some kind of commitment the government has made that could be referred to if and when the government fails to engage with voices outwith those organisations they fund, and where it fails to listen to those who are/who represent ordinary people outside of government funded organisations and the lobbying process, particularly grassroots groups. Something that can also be understood as a government commitment to engage with a diversity of views from stakeholders, not just those who hold the same views as the government and thus already agree with them and provide no diversity of thought or challenge in regard to government policies and proposals.

We believe the government should be committed to a set of principles regarding open policy making. We are not sure what they have agreed to do specifically in order to uphold the principles of open government in Scotland, or what has been put to them by this network, so we were hoping someone could help clarify all of this with us, and indeed if there is anything the government has committed to that would function as a commitment to everything we have outlined here. We would very much appreciate anyone who can help.

Hi I would very much welcome a conversation on this, we are building our open policy making advice at the moment to make sure we do do this better

Doreen

Head of Open Government

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

···

Sent: Tuesday, 24 September 2019 15:01

To: Grove D (Doreen)

Reply To: leya via Open Government Forum

Subject: [PM] Question regarding grassroots and working class participation in policy making

WGS

leya

September 24
Hi, I am the Director of a working class led feminist campaign group, and I joined this network predominantly because we believe there is a great deal of policy capture at the moment in terms of how the Scottish Government
is approaching policy making, and also working class people are entirely missing from the policy making process and we believe this is having a hugely detrimental impact, particularly on working class women. We want to work to change this, and very much support
the principles of Open Government, and at this point I am wondering if anyone can share any kind of progress in regard to agreement with the Scottish Government on ensuring it adequately engages beyond government funded organisations and with ordinary people
and indeed all groups of stakeholders in its policy making?

We are looking for some kind of commitment the government has made that could be referred to if and when the government fails to engage with voices outwith those organisations they fund, and where it fails to listen to those
who are/who represent ordinary people outside of government funded organisations and the lobbying process, particularly grassroots groups. Something that can also be understood as a government commitment to engage with a diversity of views from stakeholders,
not just those who hold the same views as the government and thus already agree with them and provide no diversity of thought or challenge in regard to government policies and proposals.

We believe the government should be committed to a set of principles regarding open policy making. We are not sure what they have agreed to do
specifically in order to uphold the principles of open government in Scotland, or what has been put to them by this network, so we were hoping someone could help clarify all of this with us, and indeed if there is anything the government has committed
to that would function as a commitment to everything we have outlined here. We would very much appreciate anyone who can help.

Visit
opengovscot (115)
WGS

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails,
click here

This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email Security.cloud service.

For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com

This e-mail (and any files or other attachments transmitted with it) is intended solely for the attention of the addressee(s). Unauthorised use, disclosure, storage, copying or distribution of any part of this e-mail is not permitted. If you are not the intended recipient please destroy the email, remove any copies from your system and inform the sender immediately by return.

Communications with the Scottish Government may be monitored or recorded in order to secure the effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes. The views or opinions contained within this e-mail may not necessarily reflect those of the Scottish Government.

That would be great, what would be the best way to go about that?

Let’s meet up to talk about it? Happy to buy the coffees so we can work out how best to feed this into the participation framework. Where are you based? Happy to come to you

···

Sent: Tuesday, 24 September 2019 15:52

Subject: Re: [PM] Question regarding grassroots and working class participation in policy making

WGS

leya

September 24
That would be great, what would be the best way to go about that?

Visit Message or reply to this email to
respond to
opengovscot (115)
WGS

In Reply To

DoreenG

Doreen Grove

September 24
Hi I would very much welcome a conversation on this, we are building our open policy making advice at the moment to make sure we do do this better Doreen Head of Open Government Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone. ···

(click for more details)

Visit
opengovscot (115)
WGS

click here

I can’t meet in person at the moment due to medical reasons unfortunately but I can speak on the phone? I could call you on Thursday or Friday afternoon, or if that would not work I could call you any afternoon next week?

Thursday afternoon works for me my number is 07767343230 I will let you know when I will be available

···

Sent: Tuesday, 24 September 2019 16:06

Subject: Re: [PM] Question regarding grassroots and working class participation in policy making

WGS

leya

September 24
I can’t meet in person at the moment due to medical reasons unfortunately but I can speak on the phone? I could call you on Thursday or Friday afternoon, or if that would not work I could call you any afternoon next week?

Visit
opengovscot (115)
WGS

click here

This e-mail (and any files or other attachments transmitted with it) is intended solely for the attention of the addressee(s). Unauthorised use, disclosure, storage, copying or distribution of any part of this e-mail is not permitted. If you are not the intended recipient please destroy the email, remove any copies from your system and inform the sender immediately by return.

Communications with the Scottish Government may be monitored or recorded in order to secure the effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes. The views or opinions contained within this e-mail may not necessarily reflect those of the Scottish Government.

Thanks Doreen, I will text you now so you have my number too and that way you can text me whenever you are free and I will give you a call. Thanks again!