The 400£ givaway

While I can wholeheartedly welcome the chancellor helping the most needy in this country,I cannot for the life of me understand why he has not made it means tested.In short the wealthy multiple home homeowners,who by default have money to burn ,gets a backhander for from number11.Not good financial value.

It’s a fair question David.
Targeting wealthy is best done via the tax system, including inheritance, second homes and capital taxes. Keeping things simpler gets money faster to those that need it the most. Even better approach would be a #citizensIncome

Child benefit is another example of the anomalies introduced when trying to change something universal(ish) into something more means tested. Means testing by income creates all sorts of problems. Universal benefits plus redistribution via taxes is more effective I’d say.

Here’s a better argued version from a leading poverty charity: Why give money to people who ‘don’t need it’? The case against intensive means-testing | CPAG

1 Like

Yes ,your counter synopsis is correct,your attachment has a valid point.But ,and this is a personal,and also a political dilemma.The average person in real life ,sees wealthy citizens getting more.A starting point of wealth is not relaying on a monthly income.It just doesn’t sit right in the mind to pay out of the public purse ,to citizens who by default don’t seem not to need it .Taxation can be avoided.Although many on(PAYE) have very little choice.Government really needs to be seen as doing the right actions.Fair,even,(levelling up ) is the rhetoric that emanates from the heart of government.But-in the real world,It’s far from clear.Information needs to be translated in a format that’s seen to be credible.wealthy,poor ,the haves ,the have nots .The government of the day should be fair even for everyone.wars have been started on less .

It’s a fair point about tax avoidance. That’s where Opengov can play a role in ensuring transparency and accountability of our monetary and fiscal systems - an active agenda for the Open Government Partnership.

Ultimately, universal support, and progressive taxation is a particular philosophy, and you need to make your choice. Issues to consider include, ease of take up for those that need it the most, avoiding stigma and cliff edges in support. Simplification and efficiency and less public money being spent on means testers.

The system is always going to be one suit fits all. Th Covid payments have been given to all small business’s some of which never closed and turnover increased in many cases by 40% and grants enabled then to replace equipment and vehicles. There is little alternatives to general grants / payments which if this were to be means tested would become a Bureaucratic nightmare particularly with civil servants working from home. Most of the WFH people have gained significant benefits by not going in to the office they have benefited by not having to purchase season tickets on trains and oyster card on the London transport. non of which has been taxed which is not the case for sales people with company cars, so i cannot see any other alternative other than the system proposed